banner design by Jude Rouslin


Here's the whole family, posing with Master Mark Causerano after a Region 8 Tang Soo Do Karate tournament. We are now green belts and will compete again Feb. 22, 2014.

My daughter, Lydia Thompson, was born February 3, 1992 to Cynthia Folio and Larry R. Thompson. She has tuberous sclerosis complex (TSC), a genetic disease that, in her case, causes seizures. For more information about TSC, visit the TSC website. For more information about epilepsy, visit the Epilepsy Foundation of Southeastern Pennsylvania, the American Epilepsy Society and the Epilepsy Foundation of America. Lydia has had seizures since she was 1 1/2 years old. She has tried numerous seizure medications, a year of the ketogenic diet, and (more recently) the Vagus Nerve Stimulator. She is currently on a modified Adkins diet called "Adkins for Seizures."

Picture on the left: Lydia at the Jersey shore, summer '99 (photo by Aleck Brinkman)
P icture on the right: Lydia running the 50m dash at Special Olympics, 2010 (photo by Cynthia Folio)

Lydia at the beach, summer 1999Lydia runs 50m dash at Special Olympics








Lydia graduated from Lower Merion Senior High School (class of 2012). The highlight of Lydia's senior year was going to the Senior Prom with Jason (photos by Cynthia Folio).

My husband, Aleck Brinkman, was Associate Professor of music theory at Temple University and is now retired. We were married May 25, 2002 at our home in Wynnewood, PA. For more about Aleck visit his homepage. To view pictures of our wedding and of our house, Click Here.


Picture of Les

My brother, Les Folio (pictured at left), is a D.O., a retired Colenal (after a distinguished career in the Air Force), radiologist and flight surgeon. He now works at NIH. He and his wife, Jutta, live in Bethesda, MD, along with their adorable and talented son, Lucas Skye Folio. For more about Les, visit his homepage.


My father, Joseph Folio, passed away in February, 2003, and is buried at the Arlington National Cemetery. He had a distinguished career in the army. My mother passed away in October, 2004 after a long struggle with Alzheimer's disease. The photo below (taken by Aleck Brinkman) shows Lydia and Les following the caisson at my father's funeral.

Lydia following the caisson at my dad's funeral