Sala-ma-Sond's dodger
(2 cabin deck arrangement)


 I reversed the horn position on the starboard Dorade ventilator so that it is over the "snorkel" hole; this allowed symmetry in the dodger profile while not undermining the ventilation. I am making a little spring loaded umbrella-like device that will cap the snorkel hole when a wave finds its way in to the horn; there are commercially available dorades like this but they're not as pretty as Cheoy Lee's. 

This dodger  has a pocket/flap on the top to capture a large flexible solar panel. The wire is run through a reinforced slit under the flap and down through a deck gland in the side of the starboard dorade. 

I went for hand rails on the sides of the dodger and another welded on to the aft bow. 
Most dodgers are built with two bowed tubes, with the fabric anchored somehow along the leading edge and then stanchions hold the aft bow of the frame from collapsing forward. The stanchions are usually attached from the aft bow down the cockpit. I didn't like that approach since it meant that the stanchion would be occupying the most valuable real estate gained by the  addition of the dodger. I chose another method that keeps that area clear; it requires a couple of extra stanchions (generic term in dodgers for a straight tube) that create a truss, ultimately anchoring on the cabin top.  There are a total of eight pull-out pins, tethered by lanyards to their respective end fittings, that permit removal and folding of the dodger without tools, i.e., once the bolted on hand rails are removed. 
To give the dodger a nice, smooth start, I decided on a bolt rope in the leading edge that slides into a track. The track bent pretty easily into the desired shape (looking down on it) and is secured into the hatch turtle in the center. I wanted the track to be uninterrupted running across the cabin  top to ensure that there would be no surprise wrinkles in the window or the fabric.   To pull that off, I had to sculpt two teak bridges between the turtle and the dorades that met some teak trim I made to run across the top of the dorades. Everything is though-bolted, so the headliner had to be removed in those areas, which turned out to be pretty easy: it went right back together. 

This was not a low-priced dodger ($2,600).