This is the second of a 3 course IS&T required sequence in the development of networked application systems. The 3 courses are based upon the use of Microsoft’s .NET software development technology. The first course in the sequence is CIS 3209, which teaches how to develop basic information systems units called components, using the VB.NET language in conjunction with databases and windows Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs). This second course, CIS 4309, adds the ASP.NET language and will teach deployment of these software components to operate on the internet. The third course in the sequence, CIS 4342, teaches more advanced networking techniques, including distributed systems.
The principal development tool of this course will be Visual Studio.Net (VS.NET), that will enable the student to develop and combine ASPX web pages and VB.NET components for network deployment via the .NET Framework. In addition, SQL Server and its Enterprise Management Console will be used for database creation and management. The student will integrate various technologies: (1) Web page design using html, (2) client side processing with VB or Java Script, (3) dynamic web pages that access databases using ASPX, (4) XML for web data transfer, and (5) server side transaction processing using ASPX and VB.NET objects, the .NET Framework, and the SQL Server database server.
The course is very lab intensive. 70% of the grade will be based upon assigned programming exercises. Testing will account for the remaining 30%.
There are lab assignments, each weighted by difficulty. Each assignment has a deadline, shown in the Due Date column of the Project Schedule. Submission policy is that an assignment turned in by the Due Date gets the full letter grade. It can be turned in up to one week late but will be downgraded by 1 letter grade. It will not be accepted after the Late Date.
We will use the following development tools, all of which are available in the lab and which can also be provided to you for installation on your home computer:
- Visual Studio (VS) .NET for development of aspx web pages, VB code behinds, and VB components.
- Microsoft Enterprise Manager for SQL Server
Finally, the Reference Material section will give you links to OnLine references and some hard copy references. The OnLine references are classified by major topics, such as HTML, ASP, ASP.NET, VBScript, VB, Java, JSP, etc.
You should also search the web for additional, and possibly better, references for languages in the course. If you find better references than the ones provided, please send the urls to the Instructor.